Thursday, July 8, 2010

My planning has come to a screeching halt!

So, I went wedding dress shopping yesterday and invited my mother to come with me. She isn't the wedding type lady, so I didn't think she would want to come....but she did. And when she came, she changed my whole wedding around!!! I know people are always talking about how their mothers are taking control of their whole wedding, etc...but I never thought my mom would do this! I haven't really shared any of my planning stuff with her because she thinks I am silly even to have a wedding at all (my parents were married in a courthouse with a ring from a gum ball machine) So anyway, I told my bridal consultation lady that my colors were red, black and white and my mom said "oh no no no, I hate red in weddings. It looks too much like valentine's day" I guess I should have known, she is a very opinionated woman. Anyway, she went around David's Bridal and picked out the colors she thinks I should have: Purple and Champagne.

I'm not too attached to my original colors, other than I thought it would be cute to incorporate future hubby's love of red wings hockey (their colors are red, white and black, see below)

Oh ok, I love the red wings too.

But I am not extremely attached to it, it was just the first thing I thought of. Now, however, my mom has got me all confuzzled. Should I do purple and champagne? I like the combo, but I don't know what to do!!! My mother and father have yet to discuss if they are going to help me pay for the wedding (if they aren't going to pay, they are going to help a lot with the planning) so I don't know if I have to take her advice or not. When I left her, she said that it was my wedding and that I should do whatever I want, but she hates red in weddings.

I don't want my mom to hate my wedding... so I have been putting together some inspiration boards for purple and champagne (or light gold).

What do you think?


I don't want it to look like the Vikings colors, so I have to make sure the gold is lighter.

I thought I had everything almost figured out...then this happened.

geeze...

4 comments:

  1. So do you like purple and champagne? I can understand (and relate) that as soon as someone you respect and love says "ew" to one of the wedding ideas, it doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. But, just because she likes purple and champagne doesn't mean you can't find different colors besides red and black and white or go with red, black and white despite her protestations.
    Maybe you should take some time to think about it, do some inspiration color searching and talk with your mom about how sad it is for you to give up some of your plans just because she doesn't like your colors.
    HOWEVER, those purple shoes are stunning and purple is one of my favorite colors. But red is a great traditional wedding color. *Sigh* decisions decisions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, thanks for coming to my rescue so quickly...

    I do like purple and champagne. my FI doesn't seem to want to talk about colors, but did mention that he liked the red, white and black combo because of the red wings, and ALSO said he liked the purple color.

    I'm not too attached to the red color scheme and I haven't purchased anything yet to that effect.

    I'll talk to my mom and see what she says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I found your blog on wedding bee...my Mom has been pretty good about colors and everything, but had the final say on our church and venue. That's OK, since my parents are bankrolling the venture, but I would draw the line at colors. I think sometimes moms have ideas of what they wish they weddings were, and want to live vicariously through us. It's funny because Mr. B doesn't care AT ALL about wedding colors or anything. Sigh.

    So, go with what YOU want, and if you execute it well, I'm sure your mom will LOVE it. On that note, I do love the purple and champagne too (maybe because it's near my colors scheme)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natalie, thanks for reading!

    It is like pulling teeth to get R to talk about anything wedding (except he loves some things like picking songs for the reception!) Hopefully he will get better.

    ReplyDelete